In the early 20th century, the Jains of Patan (approximately 72 kms from Palanpur)
enjoyed a close relationship with the Jains of Palanpur, and marriages between the
members of these two communities were fairly common.
At the turn of the century, a few Jain families shifted from Patan to Palanpur and,
in order to establish a close and cordial relationship with the Palanpuris, decided
to establish properties for the community.
Thus in 1912, Shri Chhotalal Jhaveri built a Jain library in Palanpur in order to
fulfill the last wishes of his father Shri Hiralal Jhaveri.
Similarly, Shri Vadilal Jhaveri constructed a building in memory of Shri Jivanlal
Tribhovandas Jhaveri for the Lokagach Jain community in Palanpur. This building
is now known as Jivanwadi and houses a Jain Upashraya today.
The property of Jivanwadi was gifted by HH Nawab of Palanpur free of cost on May
SHANTINATH JAIN DERASAR
The Shantinath Jain Derasar, a peaceful temple stands within the Brahmin locality
near the Nagarkot belt, and is enclosed by the Gathaman Darwaja (gate).
As per records maintained by renowned Muni Shri Kantisagarji, it was first established
in Vikram Samvat 1400 and has since stood firmly through various periods in the
evolution of Palanpur. Restoration work carried out on different occasions over
the last 600 years has helped maintain this prominent derasar.
MURSHAD BAGH - THE DARGAH OF MURSHAD BAWA
The Mira Darwaja (gate) leads to the dargah or the tomb of great Sufi Saint Murshad
Bawa. Alongside it lie the dargahs of Sufi Saint Anwar Kaji and that of Oliya Mastfakir
Every year the area comes alive on the eve of Kartaki Purnima with a traditional
"Urs", or fair, held in commemoration of Saint Murshad Bawa. This festival sees
grand celebrations in both the Hindu and Muslim communities and communal unity.
The skilfully designed royal tombs that serve as resting places for the deceased
members of the Nawab's family lie in Eastern Palanpur.
The skilful carvings on some of the marble tombs are similar to some of those constructed
at the height of the majestic Mughal era. The Makbara also has the Mazaars of the
royal priests Mushad Mahedavi Ashraf Saheb and Sayed Hazrat Bandagi Miyan amongst
PALLAVIYA PARSHWANATH JAIN TEMPLE
Palanpur's main temple is the Pallaviya Parshwanath temple or Motu Derasar as it
is more popularly called.
Enriching the city centre with its beautiful carvings and rich, intricate beauty
is the Motu Derasar, a temple constructed by King Prahladan of Palanpur. It is dedicated
to Lord Parshwanath and contains the only existing image of King Prahladan. It has
witnessed several tragedies, in the form of various attacks through history, but
has been subsequently rebuilt on each occasion.
Legend has it that King Prahladhan of the powerful Parmar clan of Abu once melted
down a Panchbhutti Jain statue. Soon after this he fell seriously ill and no doctors
could help him.
One day he met Acharya Shri Sheetdhawal Maharajshri and pleaded for help in curing
his illness. On hearing the whole story, the Maharajshri told King Prahladan to
build a new city and erect a grand temple and install Bhagwan Shri Parshwanath's
statue in it. The sacred water after the abhishekh of Bhog should be applied on
the King's body.
Kind Prahladhan built Prahladhan Vihar, a Bavan (52) jinalaya temple which is today
called Motu Dairasar. The King used the sacred waters of the abhishekh to bathe
himself and he was totally cured!
History records that this temple was one of the richest at that time. Prahladhan
-- today's Palanpur -- was the brightest ornament of Gujarat, its prosperity and
wealth vying with that of Swarglok.
Today, this Pallaviya Parshwanath temple is one of the important pilgrimage centres
for Jains. It has come into the limelight after the recent discovery of many old
The 2001 earthquake and the heavy rains thereafter caused damage to the temple and
it was decided to rebuild it.
A few months ago, while digging, the workers came upon a treasure trove of Jin statues
- 112 in all! This was the 2nd time that such a find was recorded. In 1966, alongside 27 statues were found while digging. This has generated a lot of excitement.
But the most astonishing thing was that while digging, the room housing the main
Pallaviya Parshwanath statue caved in, but nothing happened to the statue. It was
intact amidst all the ruins.
PATALESHWAR MAHADEV MANDIR
The Pataleshwar Temple has an interesting origin -- King Siddharaj Solanki of the
Solanki era was born at this site. In celebration, Maharani Minaldevi ordered that
a well should be dug at the spot for thirsty travelers. While digging the well,
a Shiva Linga was unearthed, and therefore, the Pataleshwar temple was later built
in the shape of a well.
It was aptly christened Patal-eshwar, which means 'Lord under the ground'; The
actual temple built in the 8th century AD lies 40 feet below the ground, while the
new structure on top has only been recently added. On many original stones used
to build the temple, inscriptions showing different symbols of snakes (who adorn
Lord Shiva's neck) are found.
The Juma Masjid is an important monument for Palanpur's Muslim population, as the
Friday namaaz has been held here since 1882.
This mosque was built by Diwan Mujahid Khan II in 1649, but began to be used for
mass namaaz only after 1847, during the rule of Diwan Fateh Khan. The holy structure
was skilfully restored by Diwan Sher Mohammed Khan.
Located at the end of the city on the road going towards Jagana village is Dadawadi
a special temple that houses the footsteps of the great Jain Saint Dada Saheb Shri
He was a greatly respected Jain Guru, especially by the Bhansalis.
NAGNEJI MATA TEMPLE
When Diwan Mujahid Khan II married Manbai, he received a book and a picture of Nagneji
Devi in his dowry by mistake. Considering this as a sign of good fortune, he erected
a temple of Nagneji Devi in Rajgadhi. Believed to be constructed in the 16th century,
this temple pays homage to Nagneji Devi and Lord Shiva.
The temple's Shiva Linga, which depicts the Moon and Stars as well as the Om, Swastika
and the Cross as an embodiment of unity amongst all religions, makes this temple
unique. It has a strong tradition of being closely linked to Navaratri, and is opened
only once a year, on the 8th day of the festival.